A Syrian man residing in Guardamangia has been released on bail after being accused of the rape of a Spanish woman in St Julian’s in February.
The unemployed Syrian, 22, was charged with rape and with committing a non-consensual act of a sexual nature with the victim during the night between February 23 and 24.
Inspector Matthew Spagnol told Magistrate Gabriella Vella that the police had received a report from the young lady and had investigated. The accused was arrested after being identified by the victim in Paceville.
The man pleaded not guilty. His lawyer, Noel Bianco, requested bail, pointing out the man had cooperated fully with the police investigation. The accused and the alleged victim had been drinking in a bar and had gone for a walk when the assault is alleged to have taken place.
Inspector Spagnol said the accused didn’t recognise the victim. The accused had no job and would go live with his cousin if granted bail, said Bianco, as he was living in shared rented accommodation at the moment.
Bail was granted on condition that he doesn’t approach prosecution witnesses and sign twice a week. He was also ordered not to approach St Julian’s and Paceville. Third party guarantor (cousin) declared that he would provide the guarantee of €5,000.
Original article found on The Malta Independent