Home The Malta Independent Household expenditure on education increases by 82 per cent in seven years

Household expenditure on education increases by 82 per cent in seven years

34
0
SHARE
Advertisement

The amount, on average, that a household spent on education per week in 2015 rose by 82.4 per cent since 2008, a study by the National Statistics Office (NSO) published today shows.

In 2008 Maltese households spent €7 per week on education. This rose to €12/week in 2015.   

The Household Budgetary Survey Malta 2015  also found that expenditure per week on restaurants and hotels increased by 34.5 per cent since 2008. The expenditure share on food and non-alcoholic beverages decreased by 2.7 per cent since 2008 but still remained the category on which households spent the largest share of their expenditure.

 

The following are other salient points, highlighted by the NSO:

Family

65.1 per cent of the total population in 2015 was composed of households without dependent children, with the remaining (34.9 per cent) being households with dependent children.

Households which were considered to be elderly households (where the reference person was aged 65 and over) spent less than half as much as households of all other age groups, on average.

 

Housing

In Malta, 70.9 per cent of households were homeowners. Of the remainder, 16.5 per cent were paying rent on their main dwelling, while the rest had an alternative arrangement.

Households who owned their main dwelling generally registered a higher expenditure on all categories, with the notable exception of Housing, water, electricity, gas and other fuels; as well as Alcoholic beverages and tobacco.

 

Income

The majority (76.0 per cent) of disposable income received by households in 2015 was sourced from employment, whereas the remainder (24.0 per cent) was received from other sources, such as social benefits, allowances, and interests and dividends.

After deducting the average annual expenditure from disposable income, it was observed that households whose reference person was aged between 55 and 64 generated the highest amount of savings (€6,686), despite not being the group of households who had the highest income.

 

Regional

In 2015, the Northern Harbour remained the district with the largest number of households residing in it (51,035 households). Gozo and Comino remained the district with the least number of households residing in it (12,195 households).

On average, households residing in the Western district spent the most in 2015; about €3,400 more than the national average. Households residing in the Southern Harbour spent the least, almost €3,500 less than the national average.

 

Original article found on The Malta Independent

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here